Friday, December 18, 2009

How much corn oil to give to a horse needing to gain weight and what to mix it with?

He is 8 yrs old, 15hh, 1000lbs, gelding, Vet wants him to put on 100lbs more.





What should I mix the corn oil with and how much to give him?How much corn oil to give to a horse needing to gain weight and what to mix it with?
Last year i needed to put more weight on my mare. I feed her grain, beet pulp, weight gainer, and 100% pure corn oil. I don't think only corn oil will get your horse to gain the desired amount of weight. The oil with definitely help though. I would recommend buying a weight gainer. Im not sure what the name is of what i use, but it has great results.How much corn oil to give to a horse needing to gain weight and what to mix it with?
Mix the corn oil into his normal feed, but start adding it slowly over a week or so, and work up to a 1/2 cup, maybe 3/4 cup each day in his feed.





I would also look at what else he is getting, as corn oil alone isn't as effective. I used a pellet called Equijewel which was fantastic (I am in Aus, not sure if it is available elsewhere!) and speedi-beet works wonders for my mare. Add that to his normal chaff each day.





I also found that lucerne hay helps my mare fatten up much better than meadow hay.
hiya,





To gain weight I fed one of my tb's, 1 a cup a day split into 2 feeds. He is a little bit bigger than your boy so maybe a bit less, you could try up to 3/4 of a cup a day and see how he goes with that. When I first started adding I did it slowly, starting with 1/4 a day for a few day days, then 1/2 and so on. Do it slowly because it may give him loose manure at first till he is used to it. Start with a small amount and as long as his manure stays firm keeping adding more. Just add it to his normal feed, some horses can be iffy about the taste, so mixing it into the best tasting part of his feed can help, like his pellets/grain or whatever.





Legume hay is a better protein source than grass hay, so feed Lucerne if available ( you may know it as alfalfa if you are not from the UK, Australia or NZ) Also rice bran (which is what equijewel is) full fat soybean or sunflower and copra meal are good options for adding condition. Also speedi beet is awesome :) I give it too all my horses :)
Don't rely on corn oil to do the whole thing.


Didn't your vet give some advise on this - I'd try ringing him back and seeing what he suggests.





You might try adding a conditioning mix to his feed or rice bran or sugar beet. But seriously I'd see what the vet says first.
Corn Oil will help, also helps the coat, but you will need to increase the fat content of your feed. Increasing the protein content will add some, but will add a lot More energy. A small pat of Alfalfa hay every day will help a lot.
None. Corn oil will also cause colic! It generates heat in the stomach and you are playing with fire if you do this!
  • microsoft
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment