Tuesday, December 22, 2009

What type of oil do I use on my sweet iron bit?

I have recently purchased a sweet iron ';d'; snaffle for my mare. She seems to be excepting this bit alot better than her other snaffle. Iv heard that you should keep the oiled but can find nowhere it mentions what type of oil.


Thanks a bunch!What type of oil do I use on my sweet iron bit?
You don't oil a sweet iron bit. The rust that forms on the sweet iron is actually what give sweet iron it's name. It's not iron that is sweet but the rust. Let it rust and you horses will love the bit even more.What type of oil do I use on my sweet iron bit?
Corn oil





EDIT - After reading Kevin's answer, he is correct that you don't want to oil to retard the rusting. You may need to oil the rings if there is any squeaking. For that, use corn oil. It won't hurt the horse if he gets any in his mouth.
I've never heard of oiling a sweet iron bit either.





Hm...As far as I know just keep it clean (with water) and dry.
  • microsoft
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment