Friday, December 18, 2009

Do fuel and oil treatments actually work or are they a waste of money?

I always see fuel and oil treatments when I go to buy motor oil and I was wondering if they actually work. If they do work is it worth it to spend the money to use them or are the improvements they provide negligible enough to not really matter?Do fuel and oil treatments actually work or are they a waste of money?
Well..honestly...some do and some don't.


Some fuel additives are good for maintaining your carburator or fuel injectors clean. This can help your overall gas mileage but it's not a cure all. your injector can still fail (mechanically speaking) but at least you have done your part in trying to keep them clean.





Oil additives are iffy at best. If you have an older engine that's ';on it's last legs';, a heavier additive (STP, Lucas, stc..) will help keep your bottom end (crankshafts, main bearings, rod bearings, piston rings, etc...the lower half of your engine) lubricated.





Other oil additives are lighter (Marvel Mystery Oil, etc..) and are better at keeping the top end oiled (valves, rocker assemblies, everything in the upper half of the engine).


Lighter additives are also good for cleaning loose dirt and deposits when added a few days before an oil change.





Don't be fooled by those products that claim ';Amazing increases in gas mileage';...they may actually do more harm than good.


If they contain lead (and some do...) they can ruin your expensive catylitic converter, in cars that are meant to run on unleaded gas.





My personal opinion:


I like to believe that ';Slick 50'; actually works.


I always put it in with every oil change.


I attribute getting many extra miles from engines because of it.


(I ran a few engines completely out of oil..and they survived)


And every so often, I'll put in some injector cleaner.


Just so I can say I did. ;-)





If you have a few extra bucks...go for it.


Otherwise, save your money and just keep your oil clean.


Change it every three or four months (5000 miles)


...Make sure you change your oil filter too!.


Fuel filters can last a year if you can manage to get clean gas.


I change my fuel filter yearly when I get the car inspected, weather I need it or not...again, just for peace of mind.





I hope this helps...


Best of luck!


-=CyberLord=-


Do fuel and oil treatments actually work or are they a waste of money?
Some yes and some no. You don't need to spend a lot of money on the products the $3 stuff works just as well as the $20 stuff. But with all of the conditioners and additives that are already in the gas you won't see much improvement unless your fuel system is already dirty/fouled from bad gas or a dirty/rusted tank etc.
It most certainly works if you use it every 3,000 miles, but sometimes if you're fuel pump is shot, clogged, dirty then it can cause misfires. But it helps bust through clogged lines and does most certainly increase gas mileage. Burns your gasoline more efficiently.
Every now and again a bottle of fuel injector cleaner can do some good for a car. BUT, if you find yourself constantly needing it every (or every other) time you fill up to keep the car running smooth, there's something else that's wrong.






most of them are a waste of time and money.





if the problem is engine knock, they can help that.


but help your mileage - don't hold your breath.





I think Consumer Reports has reported on this in the past.






Consumer Reports say don't waste your money, best thing you can do for you vehicle is change the oil every 3000 miles.


And to make sure your tires are properly inflated.
The occasional fuel additive to clean the injectors is good. For the most part oil additives have no effect and in some cases may hurt your engine and make your warranty void.
YES AND NO!


some work well and some I question. The better name brands are acceptable,BUT, if it's says 'LUCAS' I would bet my tool box on it,all 15-34 of them!





';BRILLIANT';!!!!
They work as well as my magic hair restorer- Just a lot of fancy words on the label! your better of putting the money towards a new air filter- oil and filter change
this in an opinion only......I think they are a waste and only mask a problem that needs attention

No comments:

Post a Comment