Thursday, January 7, 2010

Is taking castor oil safe to start contractions? Does it work? What else helps start your contractions?

I need to know if castor oil is safe to take to start your contractions or if it even works. And what else can I do that will bring on some contractions?Is taking castor oil safe to start contractions? Does it work? What else helps start your contractions?
You should be at least 40 weeks before trying to bring on labor yourself at home. If you haven't started dilating on your own yet, then there's a good chance nothing will work anyway. As well... if your baby hasn't dropped yet, trying to start labor is very dangerous as you could end up with cord prolapse and other negative health issues.


If you are at least 40 weeks and have started dilating on your own etc., then here is a website with all the natural induction methods to try safely at home.


http://www.lifepassages.net/NaturalInduc鈥?/a>





Castor oil works for some women, and not for others. You should already be in the early stages of labor though for it to be most effective. Make sure you are near a bathroom and don't take it right before bed!! It will cause intestinal cramps along with diarrhea, so don't mistake those for contractions.


Good Luck!Is taking castor oil safe to start contractions? Does it work? What else helps start your contractions?
that stuff is nasty!!! I threw my guts up when I tried to take it :(


take a walk :) I would much rather be over due than taste that junk again!!!!!!! Good Luck!
I do think it's safe, but I don't think it's so effective. Even if it were, consider this about castor oil: It will make you empty out your intestines, sometimes in a gut-wrenching way. You are not allowed to eat once you are admitted, except maybe hard candy, jello, broth, juice, etc. Labor spends the energy equivalent of a 50 mile hike. Do you want to do that on an empty stomach? (Unfortunately, some moms also vomit during labor. Personally, I would rather have something in my gut.)


Nipple stimulation can also work by releasing oxytocin. It can also cause labor to come on very quickly and very painfully. This would not be my choice.


Some people swear that spicy food brings on labor. I had Mexican food the night before I went into labor, but I don't really believe that it caused the labor, I was already past my due date. But who knows?


I think the safest thing you can do is get out and walk, as much as your body will allow. Talk to your doctor about induction if you are really uncomfortable.





Best of luck, congratulations!!
If your contractions haven't started yet or you're not showing other signs of labor then the things you try will not be effective.





Also, castor oil will probably only cause you to have diarrhea, cramps, and dehydration. Not a good idea.
walk on the beach. that's how my contractions started because of the sand.

No comments:

Post a Comment